SIU Investigating Man’s Fatal Fall from Overpass to Highway in Brockville
Case Number: 20-OCD-183
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCD-183
- At approximately 10:15 a.m. on July 25, 2020, Brockville Police Service officers were on patrol when they spotted a person of interest on the North Augusta Road overpass above Highway 401.
- As the officers approached the man, he fled and went over the guardrail, landing on the westbound on-ramp to the highway.
- The man, from Houston, Texas, was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342