SIU Investigating Fatal Incident in North Bay
Case Number: 20-OCD-190
(6 August, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding an incident that occurred on July 29, 2020 in North Bay.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At approximately 12:35 p.m. on July 29, 2020, North Bay Police Service officers, and Emergency Medical Services were dispatched to a residence in the area of Main Street and Mattawa Street in North Bay, for an adult male in medical distress.
• Police officers and EMS arrived and located a man, 35 years of age, unconscious. CPR was initiated by police and continued by EMS staff.
• The man was transported to the North Bay Regional hospital and he was pronounced deceased.
At this time, two investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to this investigation. One police officer has been designated as the subject officer and another a witness officer. The post mortem took place yesterday.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342