SIU investigating vehicle collision in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TVI-199
(14 August, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained today by a 24 year-old woman in Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At approximately 3:00 a.m. on August14, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers observed a vehicle of interest in the area of Sherbourne Street in Toronto.
• Officers followed the vehicle along Bloor Street and attempted to stop it.
• The vehicle driver did not stop. At Bloor Street at Parliament Street, the vehicle left the roadway, and collided with a guardrail.
• One of the vehicle's occupants, a 24-year-old woman, sustained a serious injury and was transported to hospital for treatment.
Three investigators and, two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case. At this time, no subject or witness officers have been designated.
The SIU is appealing for information from anyone living in the area or anyone who was traveling on Bloor Street near Parliament Street at about 3:00 a.m. on August 14, 2020. The lead investigator can be reached at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342