SIU investigating vehicle collision in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TVI-199
(14 August, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the injuries sustained today by a 24 year-old woman in Toronto.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At approximately 3:00 a.m. on August14, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers observed a vehicle of interest in the area of Sherbourne Street in Toronto.
• Officers followed the vehicle along Bloor Street and attempted to stop it.
• The vehicle driver did not stop. At Bloor Street at Parliament Street, the vehicle left the roadway, and collided with a guardrail.
• One of the vehicle's occupants, a 24-year-old woman, sustained a serious injury and was transported to hospital for treatment.
Three investigators and, two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case. At this time, no subject or witness officers have been designated.
The SIU is appealing for information from anyone living in the area or anyone who was traveling on Bloor Street near Parliament Street at about 3:00 a.m. on August 14, 2020. The lead investigator can be reached at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342