SIU Investigating Collision in Windsor Between Police Bicycle and Civilian Motorcycle
Case Number: 20-OVI-204
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding a traffic collision that occurred today in Windsor.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
· At approximately 12:15 a.m. on August 19, 2020, a Windsor Police Service police officer, riding a police bicycle was involved in a collision with a motorcycle.
· The collision occurred at the intersection of Wyandotte Street E. at McDougall Street in Windsor.
· The involved police officer and the driver of the motorcycle were injured and taken to Windsor Regional hospital, Ouellette Unit.
· The driver of the motorcycle sustained a serious injury.
Three investigators, two forensic investigators and a Collision Reconstructionist have been assigned to the case.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342