SIU Investigating Collision in North York and Appealing for Witnesses
Case Number: 20-TVI-206
(21 August, 2020) ---
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding a multi-vehicle collision that occurred last night in North York, resulting in serious injuries to a man.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At approximately 3:30 p.m. on August 20, 2020, two Toronto Police Service officers were in the area of Northover Street and Sheppard Avenue West conducting speed enforcement.
• A vehicle approached at a high rate of speed and failed to stop for the police.
• The police officers followed the vehicle and there was a collision in the area of Keele Street at Sheppard Ave West, involving the vehicle, a pedestrian and a cubed van.
• Several people were taken to hospital.
• A 43-year old man, an occupant of the cubed van was treated at hospital for serious injuries.
Three investigators and two forensic investigators have been assigned to the case. At this time no police officers have been designated.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Lisez ce communiqué en français.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342