SIU Investigating After Man Goes Missing in Ottawa River
Case Number: 20-PCD-208
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-208
- At approximately 7:15 p.m. on August 22, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers located the man at a marina on the Ottawa River in Clarence-Rockland. Officers had been attempting to locate the man who was believed to have eloped from a hospital.
- Soon after, the man jumped into the river. An officer jumped in as well to help the man, but the man could not be found. Ottawa Fire Service’s marine unit responded to assist, but this was to no avail.
- Efforts to search for the man continue today.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342