SIU Investigating Fatal Collision in Brantford
Case Number: 20-OVD-214
- At approximately 3 a.m. on August 29, 2020, a Brantford Police Service (BPS) officer observed two vehicles traveling at high rates of speed in the area of Dalhousie Street and Clarence Street. When the officer attempted to stop the vehicles, one stopped and the other vehicle fled.
- Later, an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officer was in the area of Dalhousie Street and Brant Avenue when he observed the vehicle that had fled. The officer began following the vehicle north on Brant Avenue, but soon after lost sight of the vehicle.
- A BPS officer observed the vehicle on Brant Avenue. In the area of Brant Avenue and Ava Road, the vehicle became involved in a single-vehicle collision and became engulfed in flames.
- The driver was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342