SIU Investigating Arrest of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCI-215
- On August 29, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers were in the area of Eglinton Avenue West and Oakwood Avenue while a rally was taking place.
- At approximately 8 p.m., officers were made aware of a man jumping on cars. An interaction ensued between the man and officers, including an officer deploying a conducted energy weapon.
- The 33-year-old man was arrested and transported to hospital for treatment. The Unit is awaiting confirmation on the nature of the man’s injuries.
- As a result of the altercation, several officers were injured.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342