SIU Investigating Fatal Shooting of Man in Collingwood
Case Number: 20-PFD-225
- Shortly after 12:30 p.m. on September 9, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers attended a residence on Third Street for a report of a barricaded man.
- As officers were setting up the perimeter, the man exited the residence. He was in possession of a firearm.
- There was an interaction between officers and the man, with one officer deploying his conducted energy weapon. When this proved to be ineffective, the same officer discharged his firearm at the man.
- The man was struck. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342