Community Assistance Requested to Identify Woman Fatally Struck on Highway in Springwater
Case Number: 20-PVD-229
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PVD-229
- At 10:48 p.m. on September 15, 2020, a civilian contacted Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) Communications to report that a woman with a dog was standing on Highway 26 – near Carson Road – and waving her arms.
- One minute later, the OPP received a second call, this time from an off-duty Barrie Police Service (BPS) officer who was in the area of Highway 26 and Carson Road. The BPS officer reported that the vehicle in front of him – being driven by an OPP officer – attempted to avoid something lying on the road.
- The BPS officer and the OPP officer exited their vehicles and found a woman lying in the roadway. First aid efforts were commenced, but the woman died at the scene.
- The dog was located, deceased, off the road.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342