SIU Investigating After Man Sustains Fatal Gunshot Wound in the Municipality of Machin
Case Number: 20-PCD-230
- On September 12, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were made aware of an unoccupied vehicle parked next to train tracks. Officers were able to ascertain who the owner of the vehicle was – a 24-year-old resident of British Columbia – and began a search of the area.
- At approximately 3 p.m. on September 19, 2020, OPP officers located the man in a wooded area in Machin. He was in possession of a firearm.
- While the man was contained in bushes by members of the Emergency Response Team, he sustained a gunshot wound.
- The man was taken by OPP helicopter to a hospital in Dryden, and then transferred to a hospital in Thunder Bay. He was pronounced deceased today at 1:13 p.m.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342