SIU Investigating After Man Sustains Fatal Gunshot Wound in the Municipality of Machin
Case Number: 20-PCD-230
- On September 12, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) officers were made aware of an unoccupied vehicle parked next to train tracks. Officers were able to ascertain who the owner of the vehicle was – a 24-year-old resident of British Columbia – and began a search of the area.
- At approximately 3 p.m. on September 19, 2020, OPP officers located the man in a wooded area in Machin. He was in possession of a firearm.
- While the man was contained in bushes by members of the Emergency Response Team, he sustained a gunshot wound.
- The man was taken by OPP helicopter to a hospital in Dryden, and then transferred to a hospital in Thunder Bay. He was pronounced deceased today at 1:13 p.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342