SIU Investigating Man’s Fall from Apartment Balcony in London
Case Number: 20-OCI-237
- At approximately 11:20 a.m. on September 24, 2020, a 21-year-old man made a 911 call to report the unwanted presence of a 22-year-old man in his apartment unit.
- Officers were dispatched to the King Street apartment and made their way to an apartment unit on the 8th floor where the officers spoke with both individuals.
- Shortly after, the officers brought the 22-year-old man into the hallway to arrest him. As that was happening, the 21-year-old man – who remained in the apartment unit – fell from the balcony to the 4th floor landing of the building.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of non life-threatening injuries. The man is in stable condition.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342