SIU Investigating Man’s Fall from Apartment Balcony in London
Case Number: 20-OCI-237
- At approximately 11:20 a.m. on September 24, 2020, a 21-year-old man made a 911 call to report the unwanted presence of a 22-year-old man in his apartment unit.
- Officers were dispatched to the King Street apartment and made their way to an apartment unit on the 8th floor where the officers spoke with both individuals.
- Shortly after, the officers brought the 22-year-old man into the hallway to arrest him. As that was happening, the 21-year-old man – who remained in the apartment unit – fell from the balcony to the 4th floor landing of the building.
- He was transported to hospital for treatment of non life-threatening injuries. The man is in stable condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342