SIU Investigating Hamilton Incident
Case Number: 20-OCI-236
- At approximately 1 a.m. on September 24, 20202, Hamilton Police Service (HPS) officers were in the area of Queenston Road and Nash Road when they heard the sound of breaking glass.
- Officers made their way to a business on 700 Queenston Road and observed two people enter the building and then flee in a vehicle.
- When officers attempted to stop the vehicle, the driver of the vehicle rammed the cruisers.
- The vehicle stopped, and when the occupants refused to exit, the officers broke the glass and extracted them.
- The driver and rear passenger were arrested and taken to the police station, and a front passenger was taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342