SIU Investigating Beaverton Collision
Case Number: 20-OVI-239
- Shortly after midnight on September 27, 2020, a Durham Regional Police Service officer in an unmarked police vehicle was in the area of Simcoe Street and Mara Road when he observed an ATV that did not have a licence plate. In addition, the driver did not have a helmet.
- The officer asked the 46-year-old driver to pull the ATV over.
- Instead, the driver attempted to flee and struck the curb, causing the ATV to flip over.
- The man was taken to hospital for treatment of serious injuries.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342