SIU Investigating After Man Fatally Struck by Police Vehicle in Midland
Case Number: 20-PVD-243
- Shortly after midnight on September 29, 2020, an Ontario Provincial Police officer was operating an unmarked police vehicle northbound on Highway 12 in Midland.
- As the officer approached the intersection of Jones Road, the vehicle struck a man who was crossing the road.
- The officer provided first aid until Emergency Medical Services took over care of the man. However, the man succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342