SIU Investigating Etobicoke Woman’s Death
Case Number: 20-OCD-268
- At approximately 4:40 p.m. on April 18, 2020, a woman contacted 911, expressing concern for her daughter’s well-being. As a result, Peel Regional Police officers and Emergency Medical Services were dispatched to the mother’s Brampton home.
- Upon arriving at the home and assessing the situation with the assistance of a crisis worker, it was decided there were no grounds to detain the woman under the Mental Health Act and the officers left.
- Shortly after, the woman left the home. At approximately 7:45 p.m., an individual discovered the woman collapsed on the ground in the area of Royal West Drive and Adamsville Road. Emergency Medical Services attended but attempts to revive the woman were to no avail. She was pronounced deceased at the scene.
- A post-mortem was conducted on April 20, 2020.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342