SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Kingston Arrest
Case Number: 20-OCI-235
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-OCI-235
- At approximately 4 a.m. on September 23, 2020, Kingston Police officers and Ontario Provincial Police officers were dispatched to a residence on Ford Street for a reported stabbing.
- Upon arriving, officers found a person of interest – a 33-year-old man – barricaded in a unit.
- After a standoff that lasted approximately 12 hours, the man was apprehended.
- He was taken to hospital where he remains in stable condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342