SIU Investigating Death of Man in Atikokan
Case Number: 20-PCD-273
- At approximately 6:30 p.m. CST on October 18, 2020, two Ontario Provincial Police officers with the Atikokan detachment observed the man on Mercury Avenue East in breach of a condition of judicial release from custody.
- After a brief struggle, the man was arrested and taken to the police detachment where he was lodged in a cell.
- Approximately 1.5 hours later, the man was observed to be in medical distress.
- First aid was performed, and Emergency Medical Services transported the man to hospital.
- The man was pronounced deceased at 10:52 p.m. CST.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342