SIU Investigating Arrest in Toronto
Case Number: 20-TCI-277
- At approximately 12:30 a.m. on October 21, 2020, members of the Toronto Police Service Emergency Task Force executed a search warrant at an apartment located on The Donway East.
- Upon entering a unit on the 7th floor, the officers were met with gunfire.
- The officers backed out of the unit and took cover until the shooting stopped.
- The officers then re-entered the apartment and arrested eight occupants. All were taken to the police station.
- When one of the individuals – a 19-year-old man – complained of pain, he was taken to hospital where he was diagnosed with a serious injury.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342