SIU Investigating After Man Sustains Gunshot Wound in Petrolia
Case Number: 20-PCD-285
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-285
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on October 26, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to a residence in Petrolia for a report of a man in a state of mental distress.
- Upon arrival, officers were alerted to the rear of the property and secured the area.
- At approximately 10:45 p.m., members of the Emergency Response Team entered the rear of the property and observed that a man had sustained a gunshot wound.
- The man was transported to hospital where he is in critical condition.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342