SIU Investigating After Man Sustains Gunshot Wound in Petrolia
Case Number: 20-PCD-285
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PCD-285
- At approximately 7:30 p.m. on October 26, 2020, Ontario Provincial Police officers responded to a residence in Petrolia for a report of a man in a state of mental distress.
- Upon arrival, officers were alerted to the rear of the property and secured the area.
- At approximately 10:45 p.m., members of the Emergency Response Team entered the rear of the property and observed that a man had sustained a gunshot wound.
- The man was transported to hospital where he is in critical condition.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342