SIU Investigating After Police Officer Shoots Man in Timmins
Case Number: 20-OFI-289
- At approximately 1:45 a.m. on October 31, 2020, Timmins Police Service officers were dispatched to a break and enter in progress at a residence on Commercial Avenue.
- Upon arrival, officers observed two men get into a vehicle with a female driver, and the vehicle fled the scene. The officers, in separate cruisers, intercepted the vehicle in the area of Rae Avenue and Bannerman Avenue. The officers demanded that the vehicle occupants exit the vehicle.
- When a struggle ensued between one of the men and one of the officers, the second officer came to assist. The man then proceeded to shoot at the second officer, resulting in the first officer then discharging his firearm. The man was struck.
- He was taken to a local hospital for treatment of serious injuries, and then airlifted to another hospital.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342