SIU Investigating After Man Dies Following Fall from Toronto Overpass
Case Number: 20-TCD-293
- At approximately 4:15 p.m. on November 2, 2020, the Toronto Police Service received a call regarding a man in distress in the area of Dundas Street East and Bayview Avenue.
- Officers located the man on the Dundas Street East overpass, above the Don River and Don Valley Parkway.
- Attempts were made to negotiate with the man, but at approximately 7:30 p.m., the man fell from the overpass to the ground below.
- The man was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342