SIU Investigating Man’s Death in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 20-OCD-300
- At approximately 4 p.m., on November 4, 2020, officers with the Thunder Bay Police Service attended a Starbucks on Fort William Road after receiving a call for assistance. It was reported that two individuals had been trespassing.
- An officer placed one of the individuals – a 55-year-old man – in a cruiser and proceeded to drive him home. Based on the man not looking well, the officer then proceeded to take the man to the hospital.
- The following day, while in hospital, the man died.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342