SIU Investigating Death in York
Case Number: 20-TCD-305
- At approximately 6:15 a.m. on November 13, 2020, Toronto Police Service officers attended an apartment building located at 4033 Old Dundas Street after several 911 calls reported that a man was acting in an agitated manner.
- In the apartment building’s basement hallway, officers located the man who was unresponsive. He was handcuffed.
- Firefighters, who had also been dispatched, provided first aid to the man.
- The man was taken to hospital where he was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is a civilian agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or an allegation of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342