SIU Investigating Fatal Balcony Fall in Oshawa
Case Number: 20-OCD-320
- At approximately 9 p.m. on November 22, 2020, an individual contacted 911 to report that a man was hanging from the 7th floor balcony of an apartment building located at 275 Wentworth Street West.
- From the parking lot, a Durham Regional Police Service officer saw the man and the officer directed him to get back over the balcony. However, the man did not do so.
- Soon after, the man fell to the ground below. He was pronounced deceased at the scene.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342