SIU Investigating After Police Officers Shoot Man in Vaughan
Case Number: 20-OFI-322
- At approximately 12:35 a.m. on November 23, 2020, a York Regional Police (YRP) officer attempted to conduct a traffic stop of a vehicle in the area of Highway 7 and Bathurst Street. However, the vehicle fled west on Highway 7 and the officer radioed for assistance.
- A short time later, officers observed the same vehicle in the area of Creditstone Road and Highway 7. The man exited the vehicle and proceeded to walk around the exterior of a condominium and the officers followed the man.
- Soon after, there was an exchange of gunfire between five YRP officers and the man.
- The man fled and the officers pursued him on foot.
- A second exchange of gunfire ensued.
- The man was struck multiple times and transported to hospital for treatment of serious injuries. The man’s injuries are suspected to be non-life-threatening.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342