Update: Man Involved in City of Kawartha Lakes Shooting Succumbs to Injuries
Case Number: 20-PFD-324
Other News Releases Related to Case 20-PFD-324
SIU Investigating Fatal Incident in City of Kawartha Lakes
SIU Updates Investigation into Fatal Incident in City of Kawartha Lakes
Understanding the Process of the SIU’s City of Kawartha Lakes Investigation
Update Regarding Kawartha Lakes Investigation
Evidence Indicates Deaths of Father and Son in Kawartha Lakes a Result of Police Gunfire
- During the interaction, a one-year-old boy sustained a fatal gunshot wound. His post-mortem took place on Saturday, and the SIU is awaiting this report.
- Prior to the shooting, the man’s vehicle collided with an OPP cruiser and a civilian vehicle. An officer who was outside of the cruiser – laying down a spike belt – sustained serious injuries as a result of the collision. He remains in hospital in stable condition.
- The three officers who discharged their firearms were designated as subject officers. Thirteen OPP officers were designated as witness officers. Ten of the witness officers have been interviewed by SIU investigators, and the remaining three will be interviewed in the coming days.
- The Centre of Forensic Sciences is in possession of the man’s pickup truck for examination. The CFS is also in possession of a handgun that was located in the pickup truck. The three police-issued firearms that were discharged are currently with the SIU.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342