SIU Investigating Death of Man in Ottawa
Case Number: 21-OCD-005
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCD-005
- At approximately 12:15 p.m. on January 2, 2021, Ottawa Police Service officers were dispatched to the Lord Elgin Hotel in relation to a report of an intoxicated man in front of the hotel.
- Upon arrival, officers located the person of interest. Following a conversation with the man, it was agreed that the man would be transported by police to the Shepherds of Good Hope shelter.
- When officers arrived at the shelter, they noticed that the man had become unresponsive. Emergency Medical Services arrived, took over care of the man and placed him in the ambulance where he subsequently went vital signs absent.
- At 1:17 p.m., the man was pronounced deceased in the ambulance.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342