SIU Investigating After Police Officer Fatally Shoots Man in Niagara-on-the-Lake
Case Number: 21-OFD-007
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OFD-007
- At approximately 1:30 p.m. on January 5, 2021, Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS) officers responded to a business in the area of Lundy’s Lane and Corwin Avenue after an individual reported two people sleeping in a vehicle.
- Upon the arrival of officers to the area, the vehicle fled.
- Officers followed the vehicle and made numerous attempts to stop it.
- In the area of Niagara River Parkway and Line 3, the vehicle entered a ditch and came to a stop.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged his firearm. The man was struck. He was transported to hospital where he was pronounced deceased at 3:35 p.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342