SIU Invokes Jurisdiction in Relation to Death of Baby in Stratford
Case Number: 21-OOD-052
- At approximately 4:30 a.m. on February 16, 2021, Emergency Medical Services and officers with the Stratford Police Service were dispatched to a residence after receiving a call about a child in medical distress.
- CPR was performed, and the child was transported to hospital.
- At 6:21 a.m., the child was pronounced deceased in hospital.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342