SIU Investigating Serious Injury to Man in London
Case Number: 21-OCI-056
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OCI-056
- At approximately 10:30 a.m. on February 22, 2021, London Police Service officers were dispatched to Greenway Park for a man in distress.
- Soon after arriving, officers located the man near the waterfront. He was in possession of a firearm.
- Attempts were made to negotiate with the man. Shortly after, he sustained a life-threatening injury, and was taken to hospital for treatment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342