SIU Investigating Motorcycle Collision in Brantford
Case Number: 21-OVI-097
- At approximately 9 a.m. on March 31, 2021, a Brantford Police Service officer was operating a cruiser on Veterans Memorial Pkwy when he noticed a person of interest operating a motorcycle.
- The officer began to follow the motorcycle, and the motorcyclist accelerated away.
- A short time later, in the area of Erie Avenue and Veterans Memorial Parkway, the officer came upon a collision between the motorcycle and an SUV.
- The motorcycle operator was transported to hospital for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342