SIU Investigating Death of Teenager in Timmins
Case Number: 21-OCD-104
- At approximately 12:45 a.m. on April 4, 2021, Timmins Police Service officers were dispatched to an address in Timmins for a youth in medical distress.
- Upon the arrival of paramedics and police, the youth was observed to be in an agitated state. As such officers attempted to restrain him for assessment.
- En route to hospital, the youth went vital signs absent. He was admitted to the Intensive Care Unit.
- At 10:35 a.m. on April 5, 2021, the youth was pronounced deceased.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342