SIU Investigating Discharge of Sock Gun by Police Officer in Scarborough
Case Number: 21-TFP-115
- Shortly after 5:30 a.m. on April 10, 2021, Toronto Police Service officers responded to the area of Ellesmere Road and Morningside Avenue for a report of a man threatening others at an apartment complex.
- Upon arrival, officers encountered the man in a hallway of the building and an interaction ensued.
- One officer discharged a sock gun and the man was subsequently taken into custody.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342