SIU Investigating Discharge of Firearm by Police Officer in Oshawa
Case Number: 21-OFP-122
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OFP-122
The province’s Special Investigations Unit is investigating the circumstances surrounding the discharge of a firearm that occurred in Oshawa.
Preliminary information suggests the following:
• At 4:41 p.m. on April 16, 2021, Durham Regional Police Service (DRPS) received a report of a suspicious person and theft from the LCBO at Harmony and Taunton Roads;
• An officer arrived in the area and discharged a firearm at a vehicle;
• DRPS pursued the vehicle and it was stopped in the area of Highways 401 and 427;
• The driver of the vehicle was taken into custody; and
• No injuries have been reported as a result of the gunfire.
SIU investigators and forensic investigators have been dispatched to the scene of the shooting.
Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, 2019, which came into force on December 1, 2020, the discharge of a firearm by an officer falls within the jurisdiction of the SIU even in cases of no serious injury or death.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Loida Pedro, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342