SIU Investigating ARWEN Discharge in Whitby
Case Number: 21-OFP-124
- At approximately 8 p.m. on April 17, 2021, the Durham Regional Police Service received a 911 call regarding a woman in distress.
- Officers were dispatched, and they located the woman near the Whitby Public Library, in the area of Henry Street and Dundas Street West.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN) at the woman.
- She was taken to hospital for assessment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342