SIU Continues Investigation into ARWEN Discharge in Guelph
Case Number: 21-OFP-116
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-OFP-116
- At approximately 11:30 p.m. on April 8, 2021, the Guelph Police Service received a call regarding a disturbance at an apartment building on Christopher Court. It was reported that someone was trying to force open the door of a unit on the 8th floor.
- Officers arrived and observed two males at the door of the unit, attempting to make an entry. While one of the individuals complied with officer commands, the other did not.
- An officer discharged his ARWEN.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342