SIU Appealing for Witnesses to Kenora Interaction Between Police and Youth
Case Number: 21-PFP-126
Other News Releases Related to Case 21-PFP-126
- At approximately 7:15 p.m. on April 19, 2021, the Ontario Provincial Police received a call about a robbery at a downtown Kenora restaurant.
- Officers were dispatched, and a short time later, they located a 15-year-old person of interest. He was found behind a home in an alleyway between 5th Avenue South and 6th Avenue South.
- There was an interaction, and one officer discharged an Anti Riot Weapon ENfield (ARWEN), a firearm that discharges plastic projectiles.
- The youth was struck and transported to hospital for assessment.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342