SIU Investigating Two-Vehicle Collision Involving Niagara Police Officer
Case Number: 21-OVI-170
- At approximately 1:15 p.m. on June 2, 2021, officers with NRPS were conducting an investigation in Brampton.
- At the intersection of Kennedy Road and Bovaird Drive, an officer in an unmarked police vehicle became involved in a collision with a motorcycle.
- The 49-year-old male rider of the motorcycle was taken to hospital by Emergency Medical Services for treatment of a serious injury.
The SIU is urging anyone who may have information about this investigation to contact the lead investigator at 1-800-787-8529. The Unit is also urging anyone who may have any video evidence related to this incident to upload that video through the SIU website.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Loida Pedro, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342