SIU Investigates Firearm Injury in Ottawa
Case Number: 10-OFI-107
* At approximately 10:15 p.m. on June 22, 2010, OPS officers attended the area of Lanark Avenue and Van Lang Private to speak with a man.
* He fled on foot through a park and into an apartment building on Van Lang Private, and the officers pursued him. The tactical unit and K9 unit responded to search the building.
* The man was located on the ninth floor. There was an interaction between him and the officers, and he was shot.
* The man has been taken to The Ottawa Hospital for treatment.
Five investigators and two forensic investigators are looking into this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342