SIU Investigates Custody Injury of Man in Hamilton
Case Number: 10-OCI-096
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-OCI-096
* On May 4, 2010, the HPS drug unit executed a drug warrant at a Hamilton apartment.
* There was an interaction between officers and apartment resident Po La Hay, and he sustained injuries.
* Officers soon learned that they had entered the wrong apartment, and transported Mr. Hay to hospital where he received treatment.
At the time of the incident, the reported injuries did not fall under the SIU's mandate, and the Ontario Provincial Police began an investigation into the matter. However, the HPS recently learned that Mr. Hay sustained a serious injury during the interaction, and thus the SIU has commenced an investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342