SIU Investigating 2010 Death of Man in Thunder Bay
Case Number: 21-OCD-228
- At about 1:48 a.m. on April 1, 2010, officers arrived at the Royal Edwards Arms Building on South May Street.
- Two officers removed the man from the building and left him out front before clearing the area. At 2:18 a.m., an officer in a second police vehicle was flagged down for a man on the ground in medical distress.
- The man was taken to hospital in an ambulance. He was pronounced dead in hospital at 2:59 a.m.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342