SIU Investigates Death in Lambton County
Case Number: 10-PCD-206
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-PCD-206
- At approximately 11:30 p.m. on September 23, 2010, an OPP officer stopped a vehicle on Highway 402.
- The driver of the vehicle was arrested and placed in the police cruiser. Based on information received, the officer decided to take the man to hospital.
- A short time later, while en route to hospital, the man became unresponsive.
- He was transported to Petrolia Hospital by ambulance, but pronounced dead at 2:20 a.m. on September 24, 2010.
Four investigators and two forensic investigators from the SIU are investigating this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342