SIU Investigating Firearm Death in Toronto
Case Number: 10-TFD-226
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-TFD-226
- At approximately 8:00 p.m. on October 23, 2010, two Toronto Police Service (TPS) officers went to an address on Dufferin Street in regards to an investigation.
- There was an interaction between the officers and a man in the residence.
- During the interaction, one of the officers sustained a cut to the face. The 28-year-old man sustained at least one gunshot wound and succumbed to his injuries at the scene.
- Both TPS officers were taken to hospital for treatment.
Five investigators and three forensic investigators from the SIU are looking into the details of this incident. Anyone who may have information regarding this case is asked to contact the Unit at 416-622-0748 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342