SIU Investigates Police Shooting of Man in Sault Ste Marie
Case Number: 10-OFI-192
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-OFI-192
- At approximately 11:40 p.m. on Saturday, September 4, SSMP officers became involved in an investigation of a stabbing of a woman by a man at 629 Queen Street West, Sault Ste Marie;
- The man was wounded, and has been taken to the Sault Area Hospital, The General Hospital of Sault Ste. Marie for treatment; and
- The woman has been taken to the Sault Area Hospital, The General Hospital of Sault Ste. Marie for treatment.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342