SIU Updates Welland Investigation
Case Number: 05-OVI-091
Other News Releases Related to Case 05-OVI-091
A Niagara Regional Police Service (NRPS) officer was pursuing a Toyota Corolla on Weber Road when the Toyota collided head-on with an oncoming Mercedes SUV. As a result of the collision, the sole occupant of the SUV and four teens in the Toyota were injured and taken to area hospitals for treatment. The injured persons are:
· The 33-year-old male driver of the SUV who is being treated for a broken leg at Welland Hospital;
· The 16-year-old driver of the Toyota who was treated at hospital for minor injuries and released into police custody;
· A 17-year-old youth who is being treated for minor injuries at St. Catharines General;
· A 17-year-old youth who is being treated at Welland Hospital for multiple fractures; and
· An 18-year-old youth who has been transferred to St. Michael's Hospital in Toronto where he is listed in critical condition.
The SIU is appealing for anyone who witnessed this incident or has any information to call the Unit at 416-622-1957 or 1-800-787-8529.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.