SIU Investigating Firearm Injury in Toronto
Case Number: 10-TFI-260
Other News Releases Related to Case 10-TFI-260
The Toronto Police Service (TPS) contacted the SIU early yesterday evening and reported the following:
- The TPS was called to a home on Laurel Avenue yesterday afternoon at 4 p.m.
- While on scene TPS officers interacted with a man.
- At least one shot was fired by a TPS officer.
- The man was taken to Sunnybrook Hospital by ambulance where he underwent surgery.
- He is presently recovering in hospital.
The SIU investigation is ongoing. Six investigators and two forensic investigators from the unit are currently assigned to the investigation.
The SIU is an arm’s length agency that investigates reports involving police where there has been death, serious injury or allegations of sexual assault. Under the Police Services Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether an officer has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, lay a criminal charge against the officer if appropriate or close the file without any charges being laid
- report the results of any investigations to the Attorney General.
Monica Hudon, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES
Telephone/No de téléphone: 416-622-2342 or/ou 1-800-787-8529 extension 2342