SIU Investigating Hamilton Police-Involved Fatal Collision; Seeking Witnesses
Case Number: 22-OVD-249
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OVD-249
- At about 11 p.m. on September 25, 2022, there was an interaction involving a Hamilton Police Service officer and a man driving erratically on John Street near Forest Avenue.
- The man in the vehicle fled northbound on John Street and struck another driver who was travelling westbound on Young Street.
- Two male passengers in the vehicle that was struck are deceased. One man was pronounced deceased at the scene and the other man was pronounced deceased at hospital. The driver was taken to hospital and is being treated for serious injuries.
- The driver of the vehicle that fled was taken to hospital with non-life threatening injuries.
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES