SIU Investigating Death of Man in Toronto
Case Number: 22-TCD-270
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-TCD-270
- At approximately 4:30 p.m. on October 13, 2022, Toronto Police Service officers were called to a high-rise apartment at Jane Street and Finch Avenue West for concerns of a man throwing objects from a balcony to the ground below.
- Three officers arrived and attempted to negotiate with the man. Three additional officers from the Emergency Task Force arrived and attempted to negotiate with the man from an adjoining apartment.
- In the course of negotiations, the man fell from the apartment window to the ground below.
- He was pronounced deceased at the scene.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, email@example.com
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES