SIU Investigating Shooting Death of Man in Vaughan
Case Number: 22-OFD-319
Other News Releases Related to Case 22-OFD-319
- At approximately 7:20 p.m. on December 18, York Regional Police officers were dispatched to a condo building at 9235 Jane Street, near Rutherford Road, for a shooting in progress.
- There was an interaction between an officer and the armed man in the building. The officer fired his gun and struck the man. Paramedics were called and the man was pronounced deceased at the scene.
- Five people were located deceased in the building. A sixth person was taken to hospital.
If you or someone you know is an affected person in need of support, please call the Affected Persons Program General Referral Line at 1-877-641-1897 or click here for more information: siu.on.ca/en/apc.php
The SIU is an independent government agency that investigates the conduct of officials (police officers as well as special constables with the Niagara Parks Commission and peace officers with the Legislative Protective Service) that may have resulted in death, serious injury, sexual assault and/or the discharge of a firearm at a person. All investigations are conducted by SIU investigators who are civilians. Under the Special Investigations Unit Act, the Director of the SIU must
- consider whether the official has committed a criminal offence in connection with the incident under investigation
- depending on the evidence, cause a criminal charge to be laid against the official where grounds exist for doing so, or close the file without any charges being laid
- publicly report the results of its investigations
Kristy Denette, firstname.lastname@example.org
SIU Communications/Service des communications, UES